Serial and asynchronous modules provide highly flexible connections for Cisco1800, 1900, 2800, 2900, 3800, and 3900 Series Integrated Services Routers (ISRs). These modules help customers enable applications such as WAN aggregation, transport for traditional protocols, console servers, and dial access servers. Customers can mix and match modules to tailor cost-effective solutions for common networking problems such as remote network management, external dial-modem access, low-density WAN aggregation, transport for traditional protocols, and high-port-density support.
Cisco offers the following serial and asynchronous modules:
• Cisco 4-Port Serial High-Speed WAN Interface Card (HWIC-4T): Four high-speed serial ports
• Cisco 4-Port Asynchronous/Synchronous High-Speed WAN Interface Card (HWIC-4A/S): Four low-speed synchronous/asynchronous ports
• Cisco 8-Port Asynchronous/Synchronous High-Speed WAN Interface Card (HWIC-8A/S-232): Eight low-speed synchronous/asynchronous ports, EIA-232 only
• Cisco 8-Port Asynchronous High-Speed WAN Interface Card (HWIC-8A): Eight asynchronous EIA-232 ports
• Cisco 16-Port Asynchronous High-Speed WAN Interface Card (HWIC-16A): Sixteen asynchronous EIA-232 ports
• Cisco 32-Port Asynchronous Serial Service Module (SM-32A): Thirty-two asynchronous EIA-232 ports